Shihan Sandra Phillips
Co-Founding Instructor of Sunshine Coast Karate (est. 2000)
Co-Founder of Karate4Life Edojo
Author: A Way of Living Book Series
Training History: Studying Chito-Ryu Karate-Do since 1990.
Dan Level: 5th Dan
Instructor Qualification: Shihan
Current Instructors: Shihan Martin Phillips (5th Dan), Soke Sensei (Supreme Instructor), Higuchi Sensei (7th Dan)
Sandra Phillips (pictured right with husband Martin Phillips) has been studying Chito-Ryu Karate-Do since 1990 and started her competitive career in 1993. Sandra has represented Australia on a number of occasions, competing at the International Chito-Ryu Karate-Do Championships since 1995, which is the highest level of competition for the Chito-Ryu style held every 3 years.
Throughout her international competitive career, Sandra has consistently ranked in the top three in her division every time she has competed at the Soke Cup, winning gold in 2004. Sandra’s latest achievement was silver in 2013, and she also helped husband Martin to coach students to achieve podium positions including most recently four gold medalists in 2013.
In the year 2000, Sandra and husband Martin co-founded Sunshine Coast Karate in Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast, Australia. Since the year 2000 they have worked with thousands of people of all ages not only in the dojo, but they have also helped students transfer valuable life skills into their everyday lives.
Sandra continues to balance weekly karate training along side of time with her family, teaching, studies and writing.
Sandra’s greatest passion is in serving others. In her words “there is no greater satisfaction than to help another person reach greater heights in their lives”. Sandra strives to grow with every day as a student of karate and of life whilst actively documenting many valuable lessons along the way.
As a result of documenting her life lessons, Sandra (pictured left with children Sami and Steven) is now creating ‘A Way of Living’ book series. In this series, she shares much of her learning with the goal to help people of all ages to:
- ‘Survive’ and ‘thrive’ in our rapidly changing world.
- Grow from the inside out. Strengthening, expanding, identifying personal power and realising your unique gifts.
- Grow, respect and appreciate others. Become a person of service and share their unique gifts.
- Develop as leaders and do all they can to contribute to the uniting of families and communities.
- Numerous regional, state and national champion competitor 1993 – 2004.
- Podium finishes (Kata & Kumite) at the International Chito-Ryu Championships (also known as the Soke Cup) in 1995, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2013. Winning gold in 2004.
- Students representing Sunshine Coast Karate and Australia at International Chito-Ryu Championships. Numerous outstanding performances, podium finishes and international karate champions in 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013.
Below: Shihan Sandra Phillips performing Sanshiru kata with husband Shihan Martin Phillips at the 2010 International Chito-Ryu Karate-Do Championships.
This page was last updated: November 2016